I've been lurking and learning here for a while a figured it was past due for me to post. I've been woodworking with just hand tools for the past few years, and have picked up a lot of tips from everyone here, so thanks everyone who shares their knowledge.

With all the work from home stuff, I needed/wanted a small tool chest to keep all my soldering and electronics repair stuff organized. So I built a very simple two drawer chest kind of inspired by older machinist style tool chests like gerstners.

Every project I pick I try to focus on something new. This was the first time I did a mitered frame and panel, and my first time trying basic veneering. So the lid is mitered with a veneered captive panel and a few chamfers and scratched beads for decoration.
I also tried to make myself not plan out much for this and just started building with whatever size offcuts I had. Not planning or drawing lead to a few issues, but I think I covered them up fairly well.

The case is all cherry with through dovetails. Part way through I realized the end grain of the sides would show from the front, so the drawer fronts have a sort of inset halfblind dovetail to cover it. The edges are thinner than I would like, but I already thicknessed the drawer fronts and needed enough meat for the dovetails. It won't get used to heavily so should hold up fine.

I'd love to hear feedback or tips on what could be better.

smalltoolchest1.jpgsmalltoolchest2.jpg