Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
I have no need for new equipment, Alan. My CNC is only two years old. My MM J/P and MM16 as well as my Stubby lathe are not going anywhere but into the new shop. The cost to buy new on things like that would total close to $35K at current prices, give or take. And I have a work backlog that can't wait a year. I'll have everything moved within the next few weeks. I'm busy arranging the stuff I brought over yesterday so I have space for the "next loads" as well as planning for the electrical work I need to do to make my machines wake up once they are here. That includes contemplating what can and cannot share circuits... CNC has to be dedicated (four wire) as does the compressor. I gotta count spaces and decide if I want to try and cram into the remaining space in the main panel or put in a sub-panel dedicated to the machinery. The latter is getting more an more attractive because of access and would also make supporting all the surface mount conduit easier to support and connect to directly without doing the bendy-bendy thing into the wall. I have to extend the outlet for the garage door opener, too, as the new unit being installed soon will be a jack-shaft version to get the box off the ceiling. I fortunately have overhead access for that available in the attic above the gara.., err...shop...
I personally like a sub-panel for machinery and additional circuits. The opportunity to place the sub-panel in a convenient location is a definite plus.
The dust collection ducting may be a bit more challenging than the old shop, but where there is a will there is a way!
That is, if it'll even be installed in this semi-temporary shop ...