A couple of years ago I started playing with making light weight chairs. I made a prototype using SYP.
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....air&highlight=

After finishing a walnut table for one of the very few paying customers I have ever had, I was left with quite a few narrow strips of walnut, some cutoffs and a couple small boards.
The last thing our house needs is another chair, but I find them one of the most enjoyable things to try and make.
A chair presents so many opportunities for someone who wants to use hand tools and doesn't require a huge amount of material.

I'm about midway through, so thought I would start posting what I have for now and add as I go.

I started with the seat.
One of the things I liked about the prototype chair I made earlier was the solid, curved seat. This looked like a good use for the narrow strips of walnut I had on hand.
In order to make the curved shape, each strip needed to be cut at a slight angle. Instead of sawing them this way, I just ripped them square initially and used my wooden jointer to add the slight angle.
By just laying the strips in a curved form, it was easy to individually plane them to fit well with each other in the form without having to try for any kind of accuracy on the angle.

I used the same curved form during glue up as well.

20210307_143208.jpg20210313_102040.jpg20210313_102245.jpg

One thing I wish I had is a tavisher. I have been planning on making one for some time, but have not gotten around to it. For now, the Kuntz knuckle buster will have to do.
Planeing the bottom side was easy enough.
20210313_110055.jpg20210313_113326.jpg

Then I just rough cut the outside shape. I do have a turning saw, but I have been looking for excuses to use my wooden bandsaw.
20210313_132601.jpg