Thread: Spit Top Saw Bench

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Spit Top Saw Bench

Hello All,
    I have often thought that a low, solid bench would be very useful in the shop, so I looked at a lot of images and came up with a design I liked. The original plan was to attach the tops to the legs with box joints, but since I have wanted to learn how to hand cut dovetails, I decided that now was the time.

Learning in 5/4 hard maple was not the most logical decision since it is so unforgiving, but I practiced 7 or 8 joints in 3/4 poplar until I started feeling comfortable. I tried several techniques, and ended up cutting the tails first on the tablesaw and finishing with a chisel. The pins were cut in the traditional way with a hand saw. My first attempts were with my Japanese saw, but I wasn’t getting the results I liked and I ordered Rob Cosman’s dovetail saw. What a difference! Easy to start, cuts quickly, easier for me to keep a straight cut. The joints aren’t perfect, but I’m on my way.

I finished with my new favorite finish, Osmo Polyx. It’s easy to apply once you learn to go lightly, feels great to the touch, and doesn’t yellow maple like many finishes.

I know that many of you might think it a waste of time to put so much effort into a piece of shop furniture, but I view every project i build as a learning opportunity and I learned a lot on this build. Thanks for looking!
    Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images