Thread: Modular Workbenches and storage for new workshop / layout and design feedback?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Modular Workbenches and storage for new workshop / layout and design feedback?

Hi folks, I'm new to the forum, and building a new workshop. Looking for design advice on the specifics like the joinery and design of the benches but also more general design of the shop like layout... really any feedback is welcome! I am hoping to build a series of modular workbenches which will go along the perimeter of the shop. I'm imagining these will serve as workbenches but also storage. I'm planning to have these workbenches be on casters (2x free 2x total lock) and land at 35" high so one can also serve as out an outfeed table for my table saw. The sides of these benches might have powerful magnets in them so they "click" together (strange idea I know)... The workbenches will be build from 1/2 Baltic birch which I have in 5'x5' sheets, the table tops will be 3x of these sheets laminated for a total thickness of 1.5". That tabletop will go on top of a frame built from 2.75" tall frame and then a similar set of 2.75" stetchers will provide stability lower down. The attached drawings will show what I am talking about. The stretchers are frame would be constructed of 1/2 BB ply also and have spacers. In theory one could store tools such as chisels, small hand saws, screw drivers etc in the slots of these stretchers.

The core power tools I have now are a 3HP Sawstop Cabinet saw with 36 table, a 1412 14" laguna bandsaw, a Nova Viking drill press, and a Bosch CM10GD Miter saw, as well as various hand held power tools and hand tools.

Was planning on building these workbenches primarily with joints held just with wood glue and countersunk screws, and perhaps some knock down hardware like connector bolts and cap nuts to hold the big pieces together...

Any advice on any of this? Design of the benches, thoughts for joining, types of wood glue to use for the baltic birch ply (Polyeuethane Guerrilla glue vs PVA tight bond, etc), or even shop layout? Lots of questions waiting to be answered, and thoughts appreciated. Attached drawings are made by me using SketchUp, I could post those too.

Best-
    -Nat
    Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 12.24.56 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-11-02 at 12.25.13 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-11-02 at 12.25.41 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-11-02 at 12.26.41 AM.jpg
    Last edited by Nathaniel Jencks; 11-02-2021 at 1:04 AM.