Quote Originally Posted by Greg Funk View Post
They couldn't plug a kitchen appliance into a 6-50 receptacle so unless the jurisdiction required appliance outlets in the garage (seems unlikely) it doesn't seem any different that providing a receptacle for a tablesaw or welder; it's just a higher capacity circuit.
I don't disagree with you, Greg. Let me clarify the "appliance" circuit comment for better context. For a very long time appliance circuits were simply two hots and a ground no matter what was at the device end. If the device needed a neutral, the appliance "took advantage" of the bonding between ground and neutral at the main panel and, um...just used the ground as the neutral, too. Many of us have homes that have drier outlets, for example, that were set up this way. Many older hard-wired ranges are similarly wired. Code changed to eliminate this practice so new "appliance" circuits need to have separate ground and neutral. There's no disagreement that a 50 amp EV charging circuit doesn't "need" a neutral. But that doesn't preclude an inspector/jurisdiction requiring it. That's all I'm saying. "local" matters.