Hello,

I have a 4'x10' conference table I've been working on. It is made of 1 1/4" white oak slats, each slat being 1 1/4" thick and 48" long, so they are running perpendicular to the length of the table. The base is 82" in length and has steel support between the legs to support the top. The individual parts of the top are glued and have 5 14x140mm Dominos ea. Because the wood is perpendicular to the length, it needs as much support as possible. I'm considering inlaying steel under the table, or using angle iron to offer extra rigidity. It has a center console for power and cabling that is yet to be installed.

I have decided I'm going to assemble the table in a solid top that is full length so it can be finished properly. Then I have two options, I can leave it as a solid top, which will be large and hard to move, but not impossible, or I can cut it in half, into two 5' sections, then perhaps use alignment dowels and a tensioning system underneath. Since the steel base has direct support under the main 6' body the joint would be supported. The wings extend out by 2' unsupported on each end, so it would be 3' on the base, and 2' unsupported (except for the steel I add under the top). That seems like it would add a lot of stress to the center joint. The other issue is the center console for cabling and power also needs to go in the middle of the table. This will sit right in the middle of the joint.

I was hoping to get some opinions on the best way to proceed.