Thread: Redwood Patio Side Table

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Redwood Patio Side Table

I've been percolating on a general design that I can use for multiple fixtures on the back patio. Things like occasional tables, potted plant supports, and "something to hold that thing over there". I landed on a grooved post with slats and a laid on top design something like this.

Sub-Table (0).jpg
    This first version is a combination end table / sub-woofer hider so it is a bit squat and square. Other fixtures will be taller, longer, narrower or whatever to suit their purpose. The idea is that all will carry a family resemblance to hopefully makes things look a little bit planned.

The design I ended up with uses grooved legs.

Sub-Table (10).jpg

The slats at the bottom and at the top are pocket-holed with the in-between slats not. This one also uses glue understanding that end grain doesn't provide that much strength. It is more to keep the sltas from rattling due to the sub-woofer than anything else on this piece.
    Sub-Table (12).jpg

The box goes together pretty quickly. Some curves on the top's edges help soften the look.

Sub-Table (20).jpg

The material is milled to a final thickness of 5/8". This roughly 18" x 18" fixture took one 2" x 12" x 10' redwood board that cost me about $19.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-27-2022 at 8:34 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler