Hey gang
new here and woodworking again after about 20 years printing tee shirts.

An interesting thing happened with my new Grizzly G0733 lathe I will share for what it is worth.
Note I am not much on electronics but have kind of an engineering background.

I just built a 17 inch diameter donut chuck using 3/4 birch ply, (it has a lot of inertia once spinning). working on a couple larger diameter bowls I used the speed change knob to shut down the spindle.
My heart stopped when I tried to restart the spindle........ the motor was dead, nothing going on not even digital readout on the headstock.
I thought I fried something on a brand new lathe.

Fortunately after about 3 minutes I was able to restart normally and all is good again.
I suspect what happened is some kind of feed back electrically from the rotating spindle back into the inverter or some of the electronics???????
What i noticed was on spin down (using the speed knob) there seemed to be a drag on the spindle speed and it slowed kind of quickly to a stop.
Conversely when cutting the power either with the forward / reverse switch or start / stop buttons the roll down to stop took considerably longer and was a smooth roll down transition.

So what I am suggesting / guessing, and will do from now on is cut the power when I have a high inertia load and possibly save the inverter or some other electronic component.

calabrese55