I have a set of 3 rounded-end scrapers from Hurricane Tools (large, medium, small). I have modified all of them to create a negative rake on the cutting edges, which I've found to be very helpful. They're pretty nice tools.

I am thinking about modifying one of them, probably the medium size, to extend the cutting edge around the left side, for use in finishing the inside wall of objects where it is hard to get the front edge of the scraper to work. For example, a natural edge bowl that has a wall that curves in some as it comes up from the base to the top edge. Often it is difficult or impossible to get the front edge of the scraper positioned to work on that inside wall, because the angle needed is too extreme and you'd end up hitting the natural edge of the work with the right side of the tool, destroying the bark you're trying to preserve.

Is there any reason NOT to modify the tool I have, and instead to purchase a tool specifically designed and sold for that purpose? I don't mind doing the grinding required, and I DO like to hold onto a dollar if I can.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Robert