Our Brasstown Woodturning Guild meets monthly, usually with a demonstration program put on by one of our members or an outsider. For some time now, we've been recording video to a DVD recorder, so anyone who missed (or wants to review again) a program can watch on their DVD player. Some current technical problems are causing us to re-evaluate this approach, along with a feeling on my part that the system is just not much used by the members.

I'm wondering if a simpler way to make the video available (such as a YouTube channel for our club) might be a better option. No one has to request a disk, no one has to find it, no one has to put it in a player, and no one has to return it and put it back in storage. Upload after the meeting, and it's out there for anyone to watch.

There are some remarkably inexpensive cameras, equipped with little chips that will hold hours and hours of video. No need to hook up to a recorder, no need to play with discs, just record the program, upload later that day, and you're done. (We've never done any sort of editing, so raw video is all we've ever had.)

Are there any downsides I need to take into account, in considering this approach? (One obvious downside is that we have a high geezer factor, but honestly, what could be simpler, even for us geezers?)