Thread: Honing Guide Questions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Honing Guide Questions

Just getting back into woodworking and need a way to sharpen a few planes and chisels I have. I've read every thread I could find on the forum and on others and wondered if in 2022 any opinions have changed on these. I'm looking for a basic honing guide to handle plane irons from a variety of planes from different brands/manufacturers including Type 11 Stanley, Veritas, Lie Nielsen, etc. Also looking for it to handle various chisels including Two Cherries bevel edge chisels. Will be using with a set of Shapton Kuromaku Ceramic Whetstones in 1000, 5000 and 8000.Right now I'm trying to decide between these:

Lie Nielsen - I previously had one that never got used as I got out of woodworking before really getting into hand tools. It was machined beautifully. But it looks like this would be nearly $200 to buy the basic honing guide and then the chisel jaws but I'm not sure they will work with the Two Cherries brand chisels based on sporadic comments I've found on web.

Veritas Side Clamping - Looks similar to the Lie Nielsen but without the ability to change jaws. However, it appears to have 3 different mounting jaw profiles on it. anyone used one and how would it compare for the variety of plane blades and chisels I might buy over time? Cheapest option at $46. I'm kind of leaning towards this one for the flexibility but don't know if that's a choice I will regret.

Veritas MK II - Lots of attachments and appears to be the no brainer option until I continued to find comments about skewed edges due to it not holding chisels square. I haven't really pinned down why but it scares me a little regardless. Otherwise appears to be a nice guide with lots of positive feedback. Mid range option at $140 for deluxe set including all jaws.

Any others? Any clear winners as all of the posts I've been finding are from 2020 or way older. Thank you.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-19-2022 at 5:14 PM.