Thread: A new Windsor - and sharpening drawknives

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A new Windsor - and sharpening drawknives

I just finished assembling my 14 Windsor - a fan back arm chair from Buchanan's plan. This chair is larger than a comb back - the splay of the arms is greater and the seat is a couple inches deeper front to back. The plans don't call for a tail and brace spindles, but I added them as I think it adds a bit to the visual weight of the chair. It will sit in the house for a month before being painted. This one had some new challenges, but was a fairly straight forward build over all.

The drawknives are my five 6" knives that do 99% of the work I do - two Jennings & Griffin, one New Haven, one Witherby and a "no name." They are all superior knives and I use one until it is dull and go to the next one, though my "dull" is more like some I have handled that were represented to be "very sharp." Using a drawknife that isn't SHARP is just plain hard work. Using one that is extremely sharp is therapeutic pleasure!

These have done about 4 chairs, an additional 5 dozen roughed out spindles, several crests, arm rails and rough outs for those pieces before being sharpened. This was the day to re-sharpen them back to a razor edge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Left click my name for homepage link.