Thread: Upgrading Church kitchen cabinet doors

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Upgrading Church kitchen cabinet doors

The ladies at church would like an upgrade to the painted cabinet flat doors and drawers in their kitchen. They are now a ghastly green. Many hang open or don't close properly.

We have 37 upper and lower doors to deal with. They look like MDF with a 1/4" round over, although with so many coats of paint they could be plywood, just under 3/4" thick and probably at least 50 years old. My first thought was to just replace the old hinges with Blum soft close hinges at about $10 per door and repaint, plugging the old hinge screw holes. Problem is that they are overlay with a rabbet edge so that is a no go. (face frame construction) Next option would be to just replace the doors with flat doors then use the Blum hinges. Not looking to go with the work of constructing inset panel doors. So I am thinking MDF is the obvious choice as dealing with exposed plywood edges is problematic. Your thoughts?

Next we have 13 four inch high drawers of varying widths (10-3/4" to 28-1/2"). They just fit the opening with wood on wood construction, no drawer mounts. Difficult to open. A few very heavy with silverware. I would like to be able to use Blum Tandem full extension under mounts with soft close. No way to reuse old drawers. Looks like 18" depth would work for all but one. Not sure I want to set up for dovetail joints so possibly looking at ordering custom drawers off the internet. I see they range from knock down 5/8" 9 ply prefinished Baltic birch (1/4" bottoms) with dowel construction to maple dovetail 3/8" bottoms at twice the price. Probably just use soft maple for the drawer fronts.

I have another woodworker to help me and a gal volunteering to paint. Maybe have him do the drawers and I will tackle the doors. I could spray the doors in my heated garage and have her do everything else.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 12-24-2022 at 9:54 AM.
    NOW you tell me...