My wife and I are planning on replacing the 1950's strip flooring in our living room. @ 360 sq ft. 1/4" thick 2" wide strip faced nailed to 1 x 6's that are diagonally across the floor joists. Plan is to remove the strip, remove all the nails, have someone screw, 2 per 1 x 6, into the joists to eliminate any movement in the subfloor.

Don't want to use engineered flooring, prefer to use 3/4" solid with a vapor barrier on the 1 x 6's and install the floor 90 degrees to the joists.

Looking at Maple, select or better grade, and trying to get the best bang/quality for the buck. One of these prefinished options is coming in @ $9.20 sq ft for material only.c I can purchase unfinished for $5.69 plus freight, but then I have to have it stained and sealed at additional expense. Would they sand a new floor install before stain and finish? Some of the prefinish claims a 50 year warranty which would outlive me.

Not sure I can save enough money on the unfinished version with the additional costs and what level of quality vs the prefinished? My brain tells me the factory applied finish would always be a higher level of quality and since I am only doing 360 sq ft, not much of a cost savings when it is all said and done.

Appreciate any input.

Brian