Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
To me as one who has worked in more than one stockroom, it indicates a person who wasn't paying attention to what they were doing or possibly didn't know the difference between a bench chisel and a mortise chisel. When the rep said, "they’d take special care to find one that meets my expectations." Someone somewhere dropped the ball, BIG TIME.

Slight ding from handling? Is this chisel made of soft butter?

My heavy chisels are bashed with heavy mallet and do not have such slight dings. Some of my chisels have been dropped on a cement floor without getting such slight dings.

jtk
Once again, I'm agreeing with you Jim.
All this talk of, all you have to do is take it to a stone or break all the sharp corners, is all well and good, if you are buying a used or cheaply made tool, you should expect to do some tuning to get the tool ready for work.
If you're paying a premium price for a tool that advertises their specs, it has to meet them or what's the point of the premium price?
Things happen during the manufacturing process, that's understood. The issue is how customer service responded to the OP's situation.
You're not a jerk for expecting to get exactly what you paid for.