Hi folks,

I've been looking for a knife edge marking gauge (while I love the wheel based gauge for most work I dislike it for endgrain).
I recently got the Hamilton Panel Gauge and it is a thing of beauty. I do have a small issue with the blade it - it is a fingernail grind, single edged and supported (distally?) only by single screw. when you use it bevel towards the blade (like I use a marking gauge) instead of pulling the fence tight towards the workpiece it flexes the blade. to my mind that might have been solved by dovetailing the blade into its slot instead of a simple groove (but it is really easy to be an armchair tool designer, and I have no idea how difficult or time consuming such an endeavor might be or how it might affect the price). Anyway if you put the bevel towards the outside it is a fantastic gauge. Mr. Hamilton also sells marking gauges of similar design. I can live with the flex in a panel gauge where the bevel is towards the waste anyway but I am less sure about its use as a marking gauge.

does anyone have experience with this?
any recommendations for alternatives to the Hamilton marking gauge that are knife based?

Thanks,
Assaf