It has been a little hot for doing some of the yard items on my to-do list (that's my story and I'm sticking to it). I'm a little early on the start of this piece since demo hasn't even started yet on the bedroom remodel but . . . I wanted to try one of the pieces from the bedroom set I designed for the new digs. This is a different style than I normally make but we wanted something to set the new bedroom apart. It will be a veneered frame and panel piece with arched legs, angled end panels, and a removable cushion on top so we can sit on it and put our shoes on or whatever. If it pleases SWMBO, the dressers, vanity, and other items will share a family resemblance.

Blanket Chest (50).jpg
I made some curved cauls to present parallel edges to the clamps to make the glue-up easier.

Blanket Chest (104).jpg
I had never used these Rockler "lid-stay" hinges before. They are no-mortise hinges and leave a really large gap. If my top wasn't just a plank that would be fine. I needed the top to be fully supported by the casework so I had to recess the hinge position. I made a quick jig out of scrap to help me be accurate and consistent.

Blanket Chest (120).jpg
Some clamps and a caul make a third hand to help hold this 30 pound top while I fiddle about.

Blanket Chest (119).jpg
The top closes flush and stays open at any angle so I have to say the hinges work as described.

Blanket Chest (129).jpg

Blanket Chest (132).jpg
I have applied a base coat of a thinned mix of the primary finish. This will act as a sealer. I also take care of any color variations that are distracting as opposed to attractive at this stage.

Blanket Chest (142).jpg
This will set for about 24 hours (or less in our weather) and I will carry on with the finishing stage.