over the past 30+ years we haven't filed many claims with our insurance carriers. I can only think of one in 2005 for the home we are in now. Hail storm. At the time we were with Liberty Mutual. They replaced the roof and gutters as a result, we had only been in the home for a year. We downsized for retirement.

A few years ago, our current carrier, Erie, advised me after a hail storm went through that if there was damage they would potentially replace the damaged area. I thought it was wierd, but no real damage so I let it go. Just remembering this now for some reason, hope it's not a premonition.

I've reached out to another carrier to get a competitive quote and they are asking for age of mechanical's, roof, what kind of wiring, plumbing etc... A little confused by this since we always carry guaranteed replacement cost on our home and replacement cost coverage. With this type of coverage, the age of roof etc... shouldn't matter? They shouldn't depreciate something that is damaged and only cover a portion of it?

Appreciate insight from others with more experience with this.

Thanks.

Brian