Been looking at more table and panel saws, but not found the ratcheting guard I seen yet... but I did find another,
the one on the Robland panelsaw, and to me looks very stout, has a lever, and appears to be stout enough to keep something held down just about enough
to keep the work from climbing, should some occurrence like so happen.

Someone on the UKworkshop mentioned the rigid designs of old Wadkin's seemed a better idea, since your hand couldn't get under a wheel,
but to me, I'm wishing to treat the guard as the blade, hence my liking of the SUVA guard.

A fellow islander gives a tour of the Robland Z320 panel saw (I've timestamped the link to the overhead guard "tire kickin")
https://youtu.be/jiuFDUyPe_s?t=359

I'd like to hear what Joe's impressions are of this contender.

Lookin' round at some other machines, but they all appear to be very similar, bar springs, vs gas struts, which along with the wheels, seem to be taking over,
though I'm not done searching yet, and I suspect I need to be looking not just at models, but periods aswell.
For instance Cosmas Bauer's Panhans guard which has some features worth looking at, i.e straight forward construction.

Will try to find the video mentioned, in attempt to get a better understanding of what's preferable, or indeed which might be more preferable on a 12" machine.
Tom