Thread: finally finished my Shepherd Smoother

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

finally finished my Shepherd Smoother

As most of you know, Roger Myers and I drove up to the Shepherd Tool Neander Meander in Fergus Ontario (Canada) at the beginning of the month. We had 5 glorious days of fun, one day of which consisted of working on an infill handplane under the supervision of Doug and Ben. The folks who built shoulder planes were pretty much able to get almost through the job in a day, but the smoother takes a bit more time. In my case I was being VERY careful and I didn't care much about speed. I finally finished the plane on Sunday but decided not to take any pictures until the finish was cured and I had a chance to take a few shavings. So far I only planed a bit of poplar and some mahogany, but the results were Supercalifragilisticexpealedocious.

My original plan was to inlay a Gabon ebony diamond on the front handhold with a round bone center, but I felt it would be tarting the plane up a bit too much and the amount of space available was tight. I ended up putting in a 1/2" diameter piece of bone as the only adornment and it now seems a wise choice. I'm happy with the result and would like to thank Kevin French for the donation of the piece of bone.

Below are some pictures of the end result---Thanks Doug and Ben !!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH