Thread: Best Finish On Red Oak That Keeps Grain Texture and Protects Against Water?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Best Finish On Red Oak That Keeps Grain Texture and Protects Against Water?

I'm looking for feedback on what would be the best finish to use on red oak that would keep the 3D like grain texture (here's a picture of what I'm referring to as grain texture: https://woodweb.com/knowledge_base_i...topcoats_1.jpg) but also offer good protection against water (the kind of water protection I'm referring to is enough protection to deal with a small puddle of water that gets left on the wood and evaporates in an hour or two on its own without damaging the wood). My guess would be wipe on poly since it is applied in very thin layers so I'm guessing it's less likely to fill in all of the grain texture and poly in general offers good protection against water. However, I'm wondering if there are other better or easier or quicker options to consider. For example would regular poly (which would be quicker to apply) leave the grain texture exposed the same as wipe on poly, or is it more likely to fill in the grain because its applied in thicker coats? Any other types of finishes that offer the kind of water protection I'm looking for?

Thanks,
    Harry
    Last edited by Harry Muscle; 02-07-2024 at 9:42 PM.