Thread: Quick Set-up/Tear-down Slab Flattening Rig

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quick Set-up/Tear-down Slab Flattening Rig

I just finished building a quick set-up/take-down slab flattening rig. Individual components are easily carried and set up while also compact for storage when not in use. Will set the rig up on my driveway for ‘good weather’ slab flattening. I used the rails and router rig last summer on the driveway on a crude table setup and decided to do a better job on the table assembly for this summer’s slab flattening. Can flatten up to 28” x 45” with this new rig, variable thicknesses.

Regards,

Tom
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++

a. Table support. 2x4s friction fit into their mounting attachments for quick set-up/take-down.

IMG_0896.jpg

b. ¾” MDF Slab Flattening Table Top with one extra layer of ¾ inch MDF strips under 20mm linear rails to increase flattening height in ¾ inch increments. Have more ¾ inch MDF strips to increase height if/as needed for thicker slabs. Drilled 150 20mm dog holes in the 2’x4’ center MDF top at 96mm staggered spacing along with 150 smaller holes to accommodate threaded inserts if/when needed for slab holding. Bought the rails from Amazon; 2’x4’ MDF from local Big Box store. Mounted router onto phenolic router plate taken from an old router table. Then mounted router plate to 2” aluminum angle that is screwed onto top of linear bearing blocks that came with the linear rails. Weight of the linear rails and router are sufficient to hold the MDF top in place during slab flattening and the Kreg saw tracks are stable under the weight of everything atop them.

IMG_0891.jpg IMG_0892.jpg

c. Disassembled components now stashed away in my basement workshop and garage.

IMG_0897.jpgIMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0898.jpgIMG_0900.jpg
    Last edited by Tom Hartranft; 03-02-2024 at 3:40 PM.