Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
The dw735 is a great machine and I still have mine in the back room (just in case I guess). Imho, machines are for dimensioning and prepping material only (talking real wood here). But they do excel at this. Also, I prefer a hand planed finish but there's nothing wrong with sandpaper if that's your thing (many of my hand planed pieces get a fine sanding or two). 150 sounds... rough but I've never used Rubio so can't comment there.
Rubio is a two coat thing mostly and it only bonds chemically with wood fibers so they suggest a rough finish to give the stuff more material it can latch onto. I'm using for the first time. Just like the dull sheen and ease of application. I'd only use it on nice looking wood that does not need help.

Just wonder why you'd fine sand after hand planing, are you meaning after some shellac or sealer goes on? Also really wondering how hand planing differs mechanically from a 3 blade rotating head that creates a finer surface. I'd think the higher speed would make a cleaner cut - it must be the angle. I'll have that 735 running soon and will run some tests - thanks.