Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post

I never heard an answer to the question if anything was plugged into any outlet in that circuit. That will tell us a lot, especially if unplugging whatever that is makes a difference.
This would be good information and if I were to guess, I'd say something is plugged in. This is the only way you can get 120V to ground off the neutral since the 120V has to feed through a device (very, very little current required)to cause a high-impedance voltmeter to read 120V.
I would start at the panel and ensure the neutral was well connected and then hopefully be able to follow the circuit from the panel to the end. You need to leave the whatever is plugged in, plugged in, so you have a voltage on the neutral to measure. As long as you are in the properly connected chain from the panel the neutral to ground voltage should be 0.
OTOH, you could just go through all the receptacles especially if back-stabbed. There is a good chance you will some physical signs on the offending connection such as melted plastic insulation, burned off wire, or very discolored copper wire (or screws if used).