I know a lot of people start their business at home "on the side" then go out and lease a shop when they build up some clientel. I also know that many on this forum have their shops at home. Anyone go from leased shop to home?

After 13 years I have made the decision to move my sign/laser business to my home in the near future. The landlord asked if I was going to renew my lease which is in the last year (of 5) and I had been studying the advantages/disadvantages so told him no. Since he has had interest in a space like mine I told him that if he found a new tenant and would start a new lease for them (no sub) that I would go in 30 days after notice.

My youngest will be off to college in the fall. I have the "bonus room" over the garage which is 2-car garage size except for a stairwell to use, plus the garage itself for the woodworking/cutting substrates.

At the very least I'd save $2,200/mo rent, + utilities, garbage, commute time (60-90 min/day)/costs/gas. My biggest customers would be fine with me delivering once a week to their nearest location, I'm doing more internet/shipped sales now, and the City I'm in has confirmed that I have no zoning problems. Another advantage is losing the customers that come in off the street and take a lot of time for a very small job, over an average month those take a significant amount of time but are not enough revenue to justify the rent.

Since I have made the committment it's too late but I still thought I'd check and see if anyone can suggest things I hadn't thought of and/or
their experience and how it worked out.