Thread: Natural Edge Walnut table/bench

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Natural Edge Walnut table/bench

I finally got the oil on a natural edge walnut table/bench I've been working on for some time now "in-between" other things. The BLO really popped the nice crotch figure in this piece. Once cured, I'll get some shellac and PSL on it so it can be put in use. I originally intended this piece to be a bench in the kitchen for shoe/boot installation, but the space isn't right for it and a Shaker style step stool will be made for that place instead. (I also slightly screwed up the angle of the one leg so it's not quite as stable as I'd want for a bench to be) This piece will go into the great room to replace an old (and visually out of place) oak coffee table.

This table/bench is a semi-neander piece as the slab had to be entirely hand worked from rough due to its size. (Ok, I did use some power sanders, too, but three different hand planes also were involved! )

Dimensions are approximately 36" long, 18" high and 12"-20" deep, depending on where you happen to measure. The turned legs are ash.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...