In response to John Scarpa's question about "Wenge dining table and chairs" (Power tool forum)

John,
I spend a lot of time on design. I make a lot of rough hand sketches working out connections . I also design around what I can make and the equipment I have. I consider wood movement especially in tables and large surfaces. Then when I have a pretty good sense of the design I draw it on CAD to scale and this is very helpfull. Sometimes I will detail a joint to full scale, sometimes I just go for it. If I am unsure of a connnection I will make a sample joint to make sure of the look and if I can do it. That also helps for machine set up if I am not working with hand tools. Designing your own pieces forces you to think out each piece and for me is much more rewarding then executing a " canned " design from a magazine or plan. I won't copy someone else instead I draw inspiration from others work that pushes me further with my own.
My Krenov books are a bit tattered from admiration, yet I never tried to duplicte one of his pieces. Sometimes someone will ask me to make them a piece I made for my home....I can't do it I must change it to venture into unchartered waters....Its more exciting...what is the point of repeating yourself when there are an infinite number of new designs to create and more to learn. A custom home is designed for its specific owner as opposed to a tract home which attempts to suit the masses. Furniture designs should also be unique and be designed for the use and person they are for...maybe they can be ART as well.
Sorry, I got a little long in responding to design...I did because I think it is something we should all spend more time on...
Mark

Report Post | IP: Logged