Thread: Peruvian walnut table designed for wood movement

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Peruvian walnut table designed for wood movement

I have recieved many questions about expansion of wood and instability since I joined the Creek. Many beginning woodworkers ignore wood expansion until they make something and it twists, bows and deforms in some manner. This project integrates wood expansion into the design. It acknowleges it, accepts it and celebrates it as a design solution. The joinery used allows for wood movement and therefore it is a very stable piece. The corner "bridal" joints are held with a single screw from the bottom. Expansion occurs across the grain and by drilling larger holes in the end cap I allowed for 1/8" expansion which is ample. That is only 1/16" per screw. The end caps have "dry" bisquits to keep vertical alignment with the top. The wood carrier beams that the stainless steel legs mount to have "slip" mortise and tenon joints. These were not glued. The Peruvian Walnut was only available in 4/4....to achive the thicker section ,I laminated 3 pieces edge grain up . These rails were than joined to the already joined and glued planks that comprise the top. The stainless legs were mortised into the rails by hand using a tenon saw and paring chisel. Any tear out would have ruined the execusion.
    I joint and then hand plane each board to fit ...touching at the ends and a small 1/16" gap at the center. It actually saves time to carefully prepare each piece...wood fillers are ugly and take time to apply. This kind of project requires a variety of skills, but is within most woodworkers ability. A friend of mine is a "master" metalworker from Scotland and made the legs. We have collaborated on many pieces. I draw the hardware in CAD and a week later its ready. This table was a gift to my wife a " Peruvian Princess"
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 12-25-2003 at 8:50 AM.