Thread: Sears Craftman Miter Saw Accident

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sears Craftman Miter Saw Accident

In April 2004, I experienced an unfortunate accident. While cutting crown molding, I noticed the blade and the angle adjust handle were not lined up.

Thinking it was out of the detent, I moved it with my left hand. Suddenly, the handle broke off and my hand went into the blade.

I lost my left index finger. Two additional surgeries removed the index finger to the wrist and 20% of my hand.

I have several power tools, been woodworking for years. Never an accident or failure like this.

Weeks later, I looked at the saw. I found that one of the adjustment handles mount legs (on the underside of the saw) had broken off. The fracture began as a crack and grew until failure.

Engineering analysis revealed two defects with the saw:
    1) the cast aluminum base metal was too pores (porosity). Too much air was allowed into the molten metal during casting.
    2) The saw's blade guard does not cover enouph of the blade to meet OHSA and import safety standards.

Since 2004, I have contacted Sears and Consumer Protection Agency with this information. I also found that the problem affects more than just my saw.

My saw is a model 315.212.110. In Aug 2005, I located a privately owned Delta saw (113.234.600) that had cracks in the handle mounts. In Jan 2006, I found two saws on display in Sears stores that had similar cracks ( model 315.212.340) The Store managers pulled the saws.

In June 2006 I purchased a new Sears Miter Saw (model 315.212.340) after finding the display likewise cracked.

In Aug 2006, I located a fifth saw in Memphis with cracks in the base.

I have attached a picture of the saw's broken base.

I ask that other members with Sear's or Delta miter saws check the underside of the frame and rotating table for developing cracks arround the front adjustment handle. It could save someone else their fingers.

R. Pickard
    Attached Images Attached Images