The kids want a first initial in each side of the arbor I'm building. So plans are to cut out a script font letter with a bandsaw. The first one is an "S" with lots of loops. The letter(s) will stand alone with an attachment point to each leg of the arbor (2 attachments per letter). Thickness will probably be 3/4" from cedar. The width of material left in each letter will vary from 1/2 to 1 & 1/2". Unless I saw out each "loop" separately I will be at the mercy of the letter as far as location of cross grain. It appears to me that this puppy will be very weak. They won't support anything until plants start growing, but I do have to get the arbor to the wedding intact. Even sawing each loop separately and attaching the pieces with glue and/or tenons there will be cross grain. Of course, there will be end grain all over the letters which will get wet in the garden.

My thought is just to cut it out, soak it with paint, and handle it carefully, then let it fall apart as time goes on. The rest of the arbor is built to avoid all exposed end grain, let water run off, and even has drip lips and such.

The kids really don't want solid panels with the letters cut into them. And they don't care if the letters last past the wedding. But LOML will get the arbor and might like the letters to last. Will these things have any chance of lasting? I can bevel the edges of the letters but without templates it would likely be a chore.

David