Hello all. Maybe one of you members out there can help me out with a musical instrument dilemma...

I have been searching for weeks, and I've come to the conclusion that music stores just don't stock valve trombones (at least in the US). For what it's worth, I've only called about 30 retail music stores between Virginia Beach, VA and Washington, DC. If they stock any at all, it's always just a single manufacturer with no room for comparison.

What I'm trying to avoid is buying a horn online and not being able to try it out. Preferably, I'd like to try out two horns side by side. Since I don't know any valve trombonists in the area, I don't really have anyone to ask. (Buying a slide bone is much easier!)

The only music store in the area that has one in stock (yes, one) carries a Jean Baptiste student valve trombone-- I don't think I'm interested in that one, though it might be good to play against a better horn for comparison's sake. The dilemma here is that no music store wants to stock a horn they don't think they can sell, and nobody wants to buy a horn they can't play first.

That said, are there any valve trombonists in this wonderful collection of woodworkers? I'm looking for a little advice.

I currently play a Benge 165F large bore tenor trombone with a rose brass bell and a (stock) Marcellus mouthpiece, and I'm interested in a valve trombone which has a good tonal center. Well, at least as good as you might be able to get on a valve trombone.

Here's what I'm considering:

1. The Bach 16V, silver-plated (seems to have a good reputation, but don't know how the silver affects the tonal characteristics of this horn). There aren't any silver-plated ones online, but the spec sheet on the Conn-Selmer site shows the plating as an option).

2. The Jupiter 528S (never played this horn, but it's a reasonably good price point at $1200, and available in Silver)

3. The Holton TR690. Again never played this horn, .484 bore.

4. Any other suggestions you might have.

I'm looking for a jazz horn, somewhere between mellow and bright, but more on the bright side--something for a few gigs here and there. Since I only play piano professionally (and not trombone, currently), I'd even go for a lightly used horn as long as it was still shiny.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

By the way, here is some truly bodacious trombone playing, a rendition of Stars and Stripes Forever:

If you've never seen someone play the S&S piccolo solo on trombone, it's very inspiring to say the least!