Hi All,

Got my first crack at an avatar up. I need to get a better picture with a smile though. Because that's what I'm usually wearing when down in the workroom.

Anyway, I finished up round 1 of my new crosscut sled and thought I would share it. As I mentioned before I took various ideas and pictures that I found at the Creek here and elsewhere.

I did add a little extra that I came up with all by myself. I'm sure it's not original but I haven't seen it anywhere else. One of the problems that I read about before building my first sled is that it tends to tip off the end of the table if you let go of it at the end of the cut.

The first sled I built (from plans in a magazine) was made out of MDF. A LOT of MDF. The idea was to put tons of weight at the back end to prevent tipping. Needless to say this thing is a pig.

So as I was finishing this sled I noticed that it wanted to tip off the table. Hmmmm... (brain at work)...(a brain that is missing a some of the engineer genes that a lot of woodworkers have ).

AAAHHHAAA!! I'll add a latch that uses the table to prevent tipping.

As you can see in the pictures below I added a small L shaped piece of oak on a bolt with a knob to tighten it. After placing the sled on the table simply swing the latch down so it rides just under the table (doesn't actually touch it). As you can see in the last picture, even with the sled hanging way off the end of the table it won't fall off.

Stage 2 will be to add some type of clamping system to the sled. Haven't thought it through yet but it will probably include some T-Track. I also want to add in the capability of holding and sawing the wood at an angle.

Thanks for letting show off my beginner's work.

Jeff