I recently received a new Starret combo square for my birthday. It's model# C33H-12-4R (forged head and satin chrome finish). Everything looks great except for the finish of the blade. Right out of the box, I noticed that the finish on more than half of the blade is fairly worn. Most of the wear is down the center of the blade, but the areas with graduations are worn as well. Running the head once down the unaffected side put some pretty good scratches in it as well. The main reasons I opted for the more expensive satin chrome finish were the claims of reduced glare and better durability. As it stands now, the shiny wear areas are more distracting than if the blade had no satin finish at all.

Can anyone comment as to whether this kind of wear is to be expected? Am I being too picky? It seems like the finish will be gone fairly quickly once I actually start using this thing. I've tried contacting Starrett by email, but I haven't gotten a reply yet. I am holding off on purchasing any additional blades until I know whether I should opt for the satin chrome finish again.