My house will soon be in need of a new front entry door. I have gotten estimates on replacement and most commercial door installers get about $2000 for a new 40" wide door. I looked at a few at some of the home centers and think that duplicating some of the designs would be fairly easy. I am thinking I could make a door frame using stub tenon joints with an arched rail at the top another rail at the bottom and in the center. The stiles and rails would be routed or dadoed to accept a 1/2" panel made from baltic birch. The panel would be decorated with small panels with a decorative edge. The door is not in the weather.
I would make the frame by gluing up 4/4 hardwood lumber for a total thickness of 1 1/2". After completion, I will skin the frame with 1/8" sheeting to get a thickness of 1 3/4" and trim up and finish as necessary.
Does this design seem feasible? What kind of wood should the hardwood be? I am thinking poplar, maybe mahogany would be better.
Am I all wet with my idea or? I am hoping Todd Burch will chime in here and give me his thoughts. Please feel free to throw all the stones you want .

Gene