Howdy all,

Being a laser owner for only two months now, I'm still figuring out which woods cut best. I sell a lot of signs and I want to cut 3/8" thick wood lettering with my Epilog 45w. I seem to be having trouble from day to day cutting different materials. Some times I can cut through 3/8" redwood in one pass, and some times I can't in 2 passes. So I'm learning that individual pieces vary in density, and a piece of wood of the same species that has a tighter grain patter will make all the difference whether I can cut it or not. So it's driving me crazy, when I take the time to plane a board down to 3/8", put it in the machine and end up with charred cuts that don't go through all the way. Basswood and balsa cut like butter, but I can only get them in 1/4" maximum thickness. I'm going to try some pine today and see how a 3/8" thick piece cuts. I usually start with 4/100/500 setting and adjust from there.

I'm also cutting 1/4" mdf and I find that some days I can cut it in one pass at 4/100/500 and some days I can't get through it at the same setting in 2 passes. What's up with that?

Anyway, here's my question to all you experts... what material reliably cuts the best in 3/8" thickness? I need something easily obtainable. I would prefer it be wood, but another durable material would be okay also since my end product ends up painted.

I'd appreciate any tips or tricks or advice!

Thanks for listening to me rant a bit...