Thread: Turners Etiquette, suggestions for handling others work?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Turners Etiquette, suggestions for handling others work?

The other night I was informed that I have been exposed to some very expensive work (appraised at $5,000-$6,000) created by other turners. I was surprised, but I suppose I should not be, because I know some very good turners.

A fellow turner told me an alarming story about one such piece. It was taken to a club meeting, (club name withheld) and handled carelessly by club members. Fortunately that particular piece was not damaged in that instance, and the owner/turner has been very protective of it ever since.

This being said, I am very impressed by the level of work here on this forum, and the professional way in which the critique thread, and consequent "sticky" on that subject was handled. I have not gone back and re-read the whole thread, but need to do it soon, as we have a topical demonstration coming up on that subject in the near future.

Since I was impressed by that, I would like to ask members of this forum to contribute to a similar subject, that of guidelines for handling others work.

My thoughts are to always keep in mind that by the time we usually see an object, it has been through the laborious process of harvesting, seasoning, designing/roughing, drying, finish turning, finish sanding (and sanding and sanding), applying the finish, and then finally buffing. The owner/turner is rightfully proud of his work, and deserves consideration if for nothing else but the time and effort expended.

Since one wants others to be able to handle and learn from ones work, one should keep in mind that it's always a risk to show your pieces in public. The day may come when a piece you're so proud of, is damaged. This is a problematic situation in my mind. Despite being philosophical about it, one will always be disappointed if this occurs.

Here are tentative guidelines that I've come up with:
    • Depending on the venue, please ask before handling an object. In some venues it's obvious that objects are not to be handled (ie. big sign in a gallery saying - Do Not Touch!). In a club's instant gallery it may be obvious that pieces can be handled or not. It may be best to ask.
    • If one is picking up a piece, be mindful of adjacent work, and be careful not to bump them as well as gently but firmly picking up the piece to be examined.
    • Do the same when placing it back in it's place.
    • When placing an object back, be mindful if it could be damaged by passersby. Do not place it next to a table edge, especially if it's a very delicate piece that could be knocked over or knocked off the table.
    • When passing an object to others, make sure they have it in hand before letting go.
    • If you are receiving and object from someone, especially if it's a small object, make sure you place your hand under it so they will be forced to put it down on your hand, preventing it from being dropped.
    • Please be careful of soft drinks, water, food, or anything else that may damage finishes when browsing the
      instant gallery. (This is good advice for machines too. Never set this stuff on machined surfaces - they
      rust!)
    Now some additional thoughts I've had are these...

If an object is extremely valuable, it behooves you to take pains to educate others that it is not to be handled lightly. Don't be shy about giving instructions, like "please use two hands to pick this up." If you do not want anyone to damage a piece, perhaps a request that it not be handled is in order. Most galleries I've visited are very clear that none of the exhibits are to be touched, much less handled.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 04-26-2007 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Change title