Thread: Shop Tour (pics)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Shop Tour (pics)

The Oneida dust collection system is installed and a shop tour is called for, so I thought that I would combine the both of them and present them to those who have been waiting patiently. My shop began as a thought in my head many years ago. It finally came to fruition when tax time came around about ten years ago and we found that Uncle Sam was a very greedy guy. Truth be told, our house was just about paid off and we had very little to write off. That is when we decided that that detached garage that we had always been talking about was probably in its time frame. Well, why not add a second floor and make it my dedicated wood shop? Heck, that was a no brainer! Well, it's evolved over the past eight or nine years up to what you see here. Still some improvements to make to her as time goes by. But I'm getting there. Oh and by the way, the shop's measurements are 36' 6" X 17' 6".

I hope the pictures post in the correct order. I am adding them in the order that I want them to post.

Picture 1 – The tour starts with the newly acquired Oneida cyclone unit which is located on the first floor level in the garage portion of the building. The shop is upstairs.

Picture 2 – Shows the ductwork leading to the underside of the table saw above it in the shop. This eliminated the need for a “drop” at the table saw location, possibly getting in the way when large sheets of material are being cut.

Picture 3 – The main trunk of the collection system comes up through the floor behind the North side knee wall. It enters the shop through the knee wall and is helped up the wall by these fabbed up hanger supports. My Wood magazine inspired lumber rack can be noticed also, as well as my Sommerfeld style router table. A Hitachi M12V router is housed inside. The cabinets are reused from an old attached garage. I will someday build some new ones. Until then, they are serving me well.

Picture 4 – The main branch of the ductwork heading into the shop and dropping down to my jointer. You can also see my lumber rack and a slight view of my mobile clamp rack. My new Jet air cleaner is up in the air.

Picture 5 – The South side of my shop looking east. The ductwork continues over to my RAS. The second drop here will serve an area at my bench that will eventually have an insert area for both my benchtop planer and a Rockwell chop saw. In the background you can see my Jet mortiser and oscillating spindle sander, as well as my Kreg pneumatic pocket screw jig, small grinder and behind that on top of the bench, my D4 Leigh dovetail jig. My table saw and my 6’X6’ workbench are in the foreground. And YES, my two fans.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fred Voorhees; 03-13-2004 at 10:04 AM.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!