Hello all, I am going to be new to wood turning and this is my first time posting in a forum/thread. I hope you don't mind if I ask a couple of questions as I have no mentor or foundation to work from. I stripped my garage clean this weekend to build a work bench. I am limited on width to about 2 feet but I can have about 15 feet of length. My b-day Father's day and anniversary are all coming up in June so I figure that is three tools to get started. Here are a list of questions I had. Just tell me to pound saw dust if this is not the right place for me to ask such rookie questions.
1. Mostly interested in pens to start. What three basic power tools do you think I would need besides a lathe and a drill press.
2. I was going to purchase a rikon or jet midi but I found a craftsman 12 inch model 113.23800 with some tools for $40. I would like to save the money but, I am woried about it being too big or old to turn smaller things like pens? Do you think it will be good for pens and, do you think I will have to search endlessly for parts. Basically, would I be better off spending the extra $200 I don't have on a new lathe?
3. Will 3/4 ply be sturdy enough for a bench top or should I use 2x12? do you think 2 feet of width will be enough to mount the lathe with the motor behind it (total base width of lathe and motor is 21 inches)?
4. Does the highth need to be about waist high or higher?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to get set up right the first time. I have been researching and reading for several weeks now and thought it was time to "ask the experts"! That was a little butter up so maybe you will help me. Thanks in advance