Thread: Looking for Someone to Make Sugar Maple Drum Shells

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking for Someone to Make Sugar Maple Drum Shells

Hi there, Dave Loewen here. Listen, I have been doing some digging, and I stumbled acrross your site, and I am wondering if you might be able to help me out.

THE PROBLEM
    I'm writing to you from Vancouver, BC CANADA, which is exactly the reason that I am posting here - Sugar Maple doesn't grow out here, and I need some of it. It's pretty standard issue for what I want to do because it is tough and looks as amazing as it sounds. What I really want is to find someone that was willing to turn it for me - making solid one ply true solid drum shells (yes the percussion instrument - drum set)

I am looking to make drum shells out of solid pieces of Sugar Maple (not much different from the process of bowl-making I assume). Anyway, being that Sugar Maple isn't native to these here parts, I am trying to find someone who might be able to supply me with some wood to turn, or turn it for me and send me a completely finished (or roughly finished "shell" and I would bring it to completion on this end).

GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR
    The depth of shells (finished product) would be anywhere from 10" dia x 8" depth all the way up to 22" dia x 20 depth (with various sizes inbetewen). I understand that the later size would be quite difficult to get because of it's size, but I don't imagine that the smaller sizes would too much of a task.

Just to give you an example so that you might be able to visualize my needs; my drum set has a 10"x10" tom drum, a 16"x14" floor tom drum, a 20"x20" bass (also called a kick) drum, and a 13"x7 snare drum (all sizes I just gave you are dia x depth). I think the bass drum has a thickness of 3/8" while all the other drums are 1/4 of an inch (although the snare may be up to 1/2" or even 5/8" thick).

THE SOLUTION
    If you are interested in pursuing this further, get in touch with me and I'll pass my number along so we can talk. I am sure you have questions, as do I. I am willing to pay, so throw some figures my way and lets talk.

Can somebody please help me out here by using your craftsmanship and talent to make me some shells (might be a reasonably profitable side business - the turning of the blanks and shipping of the shells to me that is...), or direct me to someone who could (either sell me blanks large enough or turn the appropriate sized blanks into roughly the correct sized shells that I would need)?

Thanks for considering. Please ask any questions you have, and don't hesitate to drop me a line.

Best to you,

Dave Loewen
    Attached Images Attached Images