I'm looking into getting some dye sub equipment and have a question or two. I hope to be looking at a bunch of stuff at an upcoming show, so I'd like to go in with some knowledge and be able to make a good buying decision.

I was looking through a catalog and saw the price of inks and was a bit shocked. Perhaps the ink catridges are larger than a normal one, but I see to recall seeing prices in the $160-250 range for single colors. Is that correct? Will it cost $500-600 to replace all the ink cartridges?

I won't (at first) be doing a high volume of dye sub, but rather just another tool to fill all the needs of just a few customers. I won't be marketing coffee cups, but rather some form of a commercial grade sign that's got dye sub work on it. Probably won't use it but once a week for a job or two. It's probably the worst possible usage for a dye-sub system that needs to be run often to keep it unclogged.

How long do the cartridges last? I know that's dependent on what you're printing, but can you do 10 full color t-shirts (not that I plan to make t-shirts), or is it 50 or 100 shirts?

Anyone here recommend a good printer?

Also, any major differences in the models of printers?