Thread: Impressed by an old Delta

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile Impressed by an old Delta

Ive been hunting for a band saw for awhile and I finally found one on graigslist this weekend. I was struggling with the 14 vs. waiting and getting an 18 but with a budget and the need to resaw I went for an old Delta 14 inch. It's in great condition with the extension block installed already and I love the fence. I paid 300(this is where you tell me if I got ripped or not) which I thought was a great deal considering the condition. It does however have a 3/4 hp motor which I planned to replace with a bigger motor because all of the 14 inchers have 1 1/2 to 2 hp motors now. I took it completely apart and cleaned every screw and tuned it up and put the brand new Timberwolf on the guy gave me with the saw. I resawed some 5 inch poplar and it ran through it like butter! I am giddy because this thing works so well and it's built so solid.
    I'd love to find out how old this saw is if possible and if anyone has any tips on how to get the striations out of the cut or any other tips for a new band saw owner.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night
    -Poe