I’m designing a settle in the Frank Lloyd Wright style meaning flat wood sides and back. I am planning on building the carcass out of Baltic birch plywood with a wood veneer rather than using MDF which may make the settle too heavy when all is said and done with the amount of structural ribbing needed. The ribbing will be every 12”-14” for structural support. My questions are as follows

If I construct the settle before I apply the veneer I will not be able to apply the veneer with a vacuum press. Should I veneer the plywood before I cut the parts?

Is ¾” plywood overkill or would 5/8” or ½” be better to conserve weight? Maybe 5/8” for the exterior surfaces and ½” for the ribbing?

Since the carcass is going to be veneered, do I need to veneer both sides of the plywood to contain wood expansion? I haven’t made up my mind if I’ll be using 1/16 re-sawn veneer I cut myself or a thinner veneer purchased from an on line vendor. I’m considering oak or cherry.

It interesting, the design is very simple; basically a wood box with a cutout for seat and back cushions but the construction’s going to be complicated.

I’m sure I’ll have more questions during construction.

Thanks

Terry