In the midst of jsut starting out; I have a perfectly usable 1 car garage (18' X 9')

I'm planning on tackling woodworking the neander way so obviously I don't have to worry bout a HUGE Dust collection, or table placement.

BAckground: the garage is unfinished, off of a finished basement; however we are a little tight right now$$ to go at the planned framing and insulation project.
It doesn't have to be "tropical", once i get going, I'm sure it will be warm enough - just soemthing to that I can turn on 10-15 mins prior and take the dampness out..maybe keep the temp around 50-60.

2 questions:

Once insulated; can some recommend a nice heating solution that will not add $100s to the already high gas bill(our gas bill for a 50+ yr old home during these cold months is $200+ - gas heat)

The other, what range should the BTU rating be around?
Do I need more than 1000? 10000??

Some options I was considering was a wood stove for 2 reasons
I can get rid of those fast piling-up woodchips and shavings and heat the garage. - Kind alike recycling.

An electric unit mounted to the ceiling - again not sure on the BTU rating needed for efficiency.

Possibly tap the existing gas heating unit and add some baseboard (Problem as with the Wood stove idea is the heater and chimney are at the opposite end of the house)

Keep in mind I won't be down there every day. Maybe 2-3 nights a week and some weekend use.

Any insight would be great! Thanks Everyone in advance