Does anyone know of any good back woods recipes for homemade wood sealant. i have heard old timers using diesel fuel and beeswax, linseed oil cut with mineral spirits, etc...i'd rather not use petro at all and want to keep it clean. my goal is something cheap that i can brew up myself. i am building a cabin and am making my own door, windows and frames from lumber cut off my property with an alaskan chainsaw mill. the stock will be planed and joined so it won't be in the rough completely. little to no sanding. i leaning towards all black locust for windows, frames, sills and threshholds and black walnut for exterior doors. all will be protected by huge roof overhangs so direct rain/snow will be rare to never.

suggestions or recommendations for or against store bought sealants would also be apprectiated. urethanes, varnish, polyimer finishes...what have u had success with on exterior projects? brands u like or hate? paint is not an option...i gotta see that grain! thanks in advance.-nick in va