Thread: Are kids allowed in your shop?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Are kids allowed in your shop?

Just finished reading the latest issue of Popular WW. The last page is an article about a guy who's breaking in a new companion for his shop - a dog. Which led me to think about a somewhat different thought: kids in the shop...

I have a two year old daughter, and since I'm usually watching her during the day (I work 2nd shift), that means that if I want to do any work in the shop and still keep an eye on her, I often keep her with me there. I've gotten some raised eyebrows when I mention this. I can understand this. After all, a shop is a place filled with sharp objects, lots of electricity, heavy objects, and tools/machinery capable of serious injury or death. So I can grasp the hesitation of allowing a small child to hang out there. Even with me there, if I'm trying to work on something, it can be hard to pay adequate attention to what she's doing (like sneaking up and getting ready to hit the start button on the TS while I'm changing blades, for instance). For this reason, I've tried to put almost all of my tools out of reach, remove keys in paddle switches or unplug equipment not in use or being adjusted, etc. So far there haven't been any problems.

I guess the point of this is, I enjoy having my daughter there with me. I figure she's going to grow up knowing her way around a shop, and in a way it's investing in a future generation of woodworkers. I didn't get to spend much time in my dad's shop, though it wasn't really a wood shop, per se. Mostly just a place to keep tools and a basic worktable. What time I did get to spend in it was from sneaking in there, which usually resulted in a big mess and butt chewing, though thankfully no injuries. I suppose I decided I wanted my kids to have a little more exposure. Of course, having my kid there means there are times she just can't be in there (when a lot of dust or machine noise requiring ear protection is being generated is another example). But I also figure that it's like raising kids in a home that has guns in it. You control access, expose them to the rules and skills of handling firearms gradually, as they're able to handle each level, and usually that results in kids who are far less prone to injury or worse than the curious but clueless counterpart. Being two, my daughter can't do much other than hold screws for me or fetch a dropped tool or workpiece, but she loves it just the same. She also loves scattering the sawdust all over the place, but that's okay. It just means I went out and got her a little kiddie broom with a happy face on it that makes noises when she sweeps.

So I'm curious about the rest of you...do you allow your kids/grandkids in your shop while you're working? At what age do you draw the line? Did you have a dad/grandpa/uncle (aunt/grandma?) that raised you in sawdust, and what was that like? Just wondering if I'm as off my rocker as a few have implied.
    Last edited by Jim Broestler; 02-20-2008 at 10:48 AM.