What is your preferred way to cut in a new primary bevel? I have 2 Veritas A2 plane blades that need a bit of work. The first one was originaly ground at 25* and I put a 30* secondary bevel (micro bevel) on it, and after a few sharpenings at that angle its progressing up the blade. Now I want to put it back to 25* again., so I'm gonna need to remove a bit of material to get it there. The second plane blade is also 25* but from the factory it was ground a degree or two out of square so the primary bevel goes almost half way up the face on one side and just a mm or so up the other. I'm using the Veritas MK2 jig, and when I put the blade in, it's always nice and square. For convenience sake, I want to square up the primary bevel for repeatable ease of sharpening with the jig.

So, here is the question. I have 220, 1000, 4000, 8000 water stones and a granite plate for flattening the stones, and lapping. I picked up the 220 grit water stone for this purpose, but the A2 steel just seems to hard for it. I have spent well over an hour on the first blade, and it really didn't do anything but wear the stone. I also tried some 180 and 220 grit wet/dry sandpaper on the granite and wasn't too successfull either. It cuts very slowly and the paper wears out quickly.

I don't want to use a grinder (gotta stay neander, eh haha), so the only other option I can think of is a diamond stone, or maybe oil stone? What does everybody else use when they need to hog off a bunch of metal from their plane blades accurately?

Thanks for reading my story and any help you can provide.
~Matt