Thread: 12" jointer planer jet / grizzly vs. minmax, hammer, laguna HELP!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

12" jointer planer jet / grizzly vs. minmax, hammer, laguna HELP!

Spent a couple hours yesterday searching sawmill & internet to find the answer, but am probably more confused than when I started...

Looking to upgrade to a bigger jointer (currently have a 6" Rigid which has probably been my best "value" tool purchase ever). Was thinking 8", but the local wood store Highland Hardwoods in Brentwood NH often has 10" plus widths available. It kills me to rip a board in half to get it on the jointer & then glue it back together. So considering a 12" jointer.

The prices of the combo machines have my interest piqued. Space isn't too much of a premium, but more room is alway welcome. Read the FWW review, which unfortunately didn't include the jet or grizzly machines. It's too bad you can't compare all these in the same place.

I had a Jet contractor's saw - not impressed - wouldn't stay in calibration, now have a PM2000 - which is awesome. I also have a Jet belt /disc sander - also not particularly impressed - it takes forever to remove the table to change the belt & is difficult to adjust it square to the belt. I've got a Grizzly shaper & dust collector - DC works OK for it's design (not a cyclone). The shaper fence was a joke (I've got a homebuilt incra on it now which cost me $300 to upgrade, otherwise works fine.

Enough background - here's the question What do the Hammer, Minmax & Laguna get me that the Jet or Grizzly don't? The specifications - dimensions, HP etc. are pretty similar. I realize the Hammer & Minmax have quick change blade systems - not sure about the Laguna. Jet is advertising a 5 year warranty, can't seem to find warranty info on the other tools websites. I realize Laguna has the "platinum" series which is made in Asia vs. Europe, but my PM2000 is made in Asia too.

Mostly looking for feeback on ease of use, accuracy & repeatability. I want to know that once I set the machine up, it will hold calibration. If I set the jointer for a 1/32 cut, switch to planing & back, I want to be sure that I'm back jointing at 1/32 w/o any fiddling around. Probably more important on the planer side - I want to be able to return to 3/4" easily & reliably - I typically machine similar size wood for a project at the same time, but every once in a while I have to scrap a piece & start over. Is the Wixey digital read out (DRO) compatible with these machines?

Lastly - can i upgrade to a spiral / helical cutter Shelix / Other on the euro machines?

Thanks for your feedback.
    Last edited by Steve Dewey; 03-12-2008 at 1:58 PM.
    Dewey