Thread: Yates-American Y30 Snowflake bandsaw "gloat" (pics)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yates-American Y30 Snowflake bandsaw "gloat" (pics)

Hello all,

I have never done one of these "gloat" things, but I thought my latest tool aquisition might be deserving.

I heard a rumor that the owner of a local excavating company had a serious piece of iron in a storage shed believed to be a bandsaw. I called the gentleman and he verified that he did have a pre WWII bandsaw he would in fact be interested in selling.

My interest piqued, I drove to his shop this morning. He opened the storage shed doors...and low and behold stood a Yates Y30 Snowflake bandsaw. The saw is really in remarkable condition, I'm not sure the pics I attached (taken with my cell phone) do it justice. It looks like this wonderful piece of American iron was lovingly cared for. Every part is intact and it is ready to make sawdust immediately. The 30 inch wheels are powered by a direct drive 3HP, 3phase motor the size of a five gallon bucket. It's weight is not known exactly, but I've read varying (internet blog) estimates between 1500 and 2500 lbs.

Now for the good stuff....

The owner of the bandsaw, who will be getting a Christmas card from me, had a funny story to tell about it. He had no use for the bandsaw at all, he simply acquired it in trade for installing a septic system at a woodworking shop in the late 90's. Here we go...he told he would have to $1000 for it. Yes, I'll repeat - he only wanted $1000 for it. But it wasn't over at that. He also agreed to deliver it to my shop for that price. Needless to say, I paid the man INSTANTLY.

This tool will remain in my family for generations to come, and now I have a Grizzly G0514x to sell.....

If there is anyone on this forum that has any additional information about this bandsaw, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for listening,

Ryan
    Attached Images Attached Images