Thread: Old Workbench Tops and New Workbench: First Step to my Workbench!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Old Workbench Tops and New Workbench: First Step to my Workbench!

I just picked up an old laminated workbench top 3' x 8' and 2 1/2"+ thick. It appears to be maple. The top was stored on its side in the dirt and started to rot a little on the dirt side. I intend to use this for my workbench top for my workbench I am designing. First question is what should I do with the piece that started to rot, as it is only 2" wide? Cut it off and replace it, or just don't worry about it? I am in the planning stages of my workbench and considering ripping this old top and doubling it up. I should also mention I also have the same top but only 1 3/4" thick, but stained with chemicals, so it will have to be cleaned up.

My next question is, if I ripped the tops and/or wanted to double them up depthwise, can I glue them together or will the wood movement and grain orientation not make this a good idea? I intend to use an apron and bought the maple and paduak (2 x 8") several years ago. I was planning on a front vise/tail vise combination and have 2 new Record 52 1/2 D's in the box I bought years ago for a front vise, Gebruder Busch Tail vise hardware and a Veritas Twin Screw Vise as well. I was considering putting the Twin Screw on the left end of the bench so I could hold big items using the whole bench or to be able to hand dovetail carcass parts, etc, though I have not done many dovetails by hand before. I intend to build furniture and use traditional wood joints, as well as do all the trim to finish my home I built (literally). I am considering putting in a tool trough about 15-18" in from the front side of the bench, and make the back side of the bench about 12-15" wide. However it seems a 36" wide bench is quite wide to work across, but have no personal bench experience to know. I have The Workbench, The Wokbench Book, and Building Workbenches and have studied them for years to arrive at this configuration. I was thinking of using the bench across the back of my table saw, which is 7' long with the extension wing, so the bench will be out in the room and act as an outfeed table as well when needed. I also have a space up against a wall I can use if I don't like it behind the table saw.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome and I need the help! I am starting this thread, so I can finish the planning phase and start making the bench shortly with everyone's help and encouragement as it is a lifelong dream! So let me know what to do about the narrow section of the top that is starting to rot and if I can glue the tops together depthwise and if not, how to join them (so they are stable) so I can increase the depth of the top to 4" to 5" thick. Thanks!
    Last edited by Jim Newman; 04-14-2008 at 12:50 AM.